After many bicycle trips in Europe, my husband and I were looking for a tour in Canada. We heard about this walk in PEI that some people had done by bicycle. We decided to try it as it seemed to fit the bill.
In preparation for the walk we:
- decided how far we would like to bike each day (60-80 km),
- tried to find towns that would fit this range of distance
- searched for accommodations within this area
- made Google Maps for each day of biking from one accommodation to the next. We started with the map on “The Island Walk” website and attempted to follow it exactly.
We were fortunate that we were able to leave our car in Summerside where we spent the first and last nights.
- Stay off “red roads” if it has been raining or is raining.
- Stay off the Trans Canada Highway if at all possible.
- Book accommodations ahead.
- Information you will need concerning accommodation beforehand:
– Is there a secure place for your bicycle?
– What meals are offered?
– How far to a restaurant or grocery store?
- Bring rain gear
We had a terrific tour … a great variety of accommodations which were all exactly as stated on the web sites … friendly people everywhere … only one day of pouring rain … each day brought a new adventure.
Our advice, don’t just think about it, do it!!! Have an amazing trip!!!!
Marjorie & Peter