Portions of Sections 16 and 17 are on Route 6 which can become busy depending on the time of year. There are 3 stretches along route 6 where you will encounter some traffic as you walk along the shoulder.
- New London to Cavendish (11.5km)
- North Rustico to South Rustico (5.5km)
- Cymbria to Oyster Bed Bridge (2.5km)
We don’t have complete yearly traffic data available along all sections of Route 6, but we do have a permanent counter located along the section of Route 6 that’s between the Simpsons Mill Road and Route 224/254 which is part of where you will be walking.
Average Daily Traffic by Month, 2022 statistics
For 2022, July had the highest average daily traffic of 7,466 per day, which compares to the other months of 2022 as follows:
- January: 576/7466 = 8%
- February: 691/7466 = 9%
- March: 796/7466 = 11%
- April: 1015/7466 = 14%
- May: 2038/7466 = 27%
- June: 3883/7466 = 52%
- July: 7466/7466 = 100%
- August: 7259/7466 = 97%
- September: 3224/7466 = 43%
- October: 1172/7466 = 16%
- November: 952/7466 = 13%
- December: 799/7466 = 11%
Please also keep in mind that the above monthly percentages are specific for 2022 on the section of Route 6 that’s located between Simpson Mill Road and Route 224/254, and that the other sections of Route 6 will be different.
For the other sections of Route 6 where to don’t have permanent year-round data collection, we generate estimated average daily traffic, which are grouped into an Annual, Winter and Summer average. Attached for your reference are average daily traffic volumes along the sections of Route 6 that form part of the 700 km Island Walk (see Rte. 6 Traffic Volume Summary for 700 km Island Walk.pdf). As noted, these are based on 2022 traffic data and include:
- Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT), which is based on an estimated average over the full year;
- Winter Average Daily Traffic (WADT), which is based on an estimated average of the winter months (i.e. January, February, March, November and December);
- Summer Average Daily Traffic (SADT), which is based on an estimated average of the summer months (i.e. July and August).