Anglo Tignish to Alberton
26 km, 8 to 10 hours, rated easy to moderate. Flat, can be windy.
A peaceful road walk beside the Gulf, with great side trip possibilities out to Kildare Capes.
Unless you make a detour into the community of Tignish to visit the spectacular St. Simon & Jude Church (PEI’s tallest church). St. Simon & St. Jude Church, known colloquially as Tignish Church is a 19th-century Roman Catholic church located in Tignish. It is the single largest church on Prince Edward Island, measuring 185 feet high. It can be clearly seen for 6 miles on flat land, and for many more miles at sea.
Grab some food, you will need to plan to take a packed lunch for this segment of the Island Walk. MJ’s bakery or Our Family Traditions are great spots to grab some grub. If the community of Tignish captures your heart, book a night at the Tignish Heritage Inn to savour the community a little longer!
From Anglo Tignish, you’ll enjoy a peaceful walk beside the Gulf of St. Lawrence, smell the saltwater air and enjoy the expanse of deep blue ocean water if you have some extra time to make a side trip to the Kildare Capes.
It’s a must-see and if you’re looking for that ‘Instagram worthy moment’ look no further. Kildare capes and its red cliff coastline present the opportunity to get a lovely photo to admire for years to come. The Gulf side of Kildare Capes has suffered substantial erosion over the past few years. Just last year a mini-elephant rock formation fell into the sea.
Once you arrive in Alberton, you can rest and avail yourself to the tranquil views of the bays and harbours in Cascumpec. Alberton is a small community with a lot of heart. It has options for dining, a little bit of shopping and stocking up on essentials.
– GOOGLE MAP LINKS –
Section 11 Amenities
in order of appearance
Packed lunch is required.
- Tignish Heritage Inn* – PARTNER (nearby)
4 Stars | 1-877-882-2491
– Take away lunch available
– Supper in the community
– Transportation available at waypoints: 8, 9, 10 & 11
– Pet friendly
- Saint Felix Beach House (nearby)
- Jacques Cartier Provincial Park Camping
- Kildare Lodge – PARTNER (nearby)
3 Stars | 902-206-4920
– Supper on site
– Transportation available at waypoints: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13
- Independent Grocer
- Alberton Bakery & Cafe
- Irving Kwik-Way Convenience
- The Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy
- La Petite France B&B
Points of Interest:
- Kildare Capes
- St. Simon & St. Jude Church, Tignish
- A packed lunch is required unless you take a 2 km (return) detour into Tignish. MJ’s Bakery is a good spot for lunch, and Our Family Traditions is a fine family-style restaurant.
- Dinner options are available in Alberton
*Free Wifi available